Sunday, May 6, 2007

Prepare to be Dazzled!

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but in my sickness, I have been doing some righteous knitting. I can get at least a mitre square done a day while at work (I can hear how jealous you are all right now), and because of that, please take a look at these:

Holy mitre squares Batman! I have decided to not do random squares, because, as any of you who know me will attest to, I am not a fan of not planning. There is a drawing on loose leaf paper that is covered with different pen and highlighter colors that maps out the whole project. This picture above, is Big Square 1, and all the stripes are done in dark brown.
This is Big Square 3, all of the stripes are done in green:

The green yarn (Meadow, Lionbrand Homespun) is variegated, which got me thinking, why bother making rows if the yarn will do it on it's own? So I came up with the idea of doing two Big Squares using the same color yarn. Here is Big Square #6 (only two squares done):


Kind of hard to tell on my crap ass dog pee colored apartment carpet, but the colors are really gentle and lovely.
Finally, we have "the scragllers," Big Squares where I only have one square done:


We have another brown stripe square, the single green self variegating square and the light tan stripe square. Man - o - man, I loves me some mitres!!!!

Not to let you think that I have been obsessed (who, me??), I also bring you pictures of socks in progress, guarded by Mr. Kendall:

These were supposed to be for my mom for mother's day, but then I stopped and thought: You know Karen, wool socks as a gift in May might not be the most practical gift. They are being worked on slowly but steadily, and will be for Christmas instead of Mother's Day. Look how Kendall appears to be guarding them with his very life!! Have you ever seen such dogged determination (chuckle, chuckle, snort - I love bad puns!). Seriously, how cute is that dog?! I realize the look on his face says "My mother is a nut-case who makes me take pictures with hand-knit socks on sunny May Sunday mornings instead of taking me for a nice long walk," but Kendall and I have been together for almost four years, he knows the drill.

And finally, speaking of sun, here is some Opal in the Sunshine #1075, thinking about making this one my screen saver, lol.

I was seduced by this at Trumpet Hill while my parents were visiting for Easter. I got the leg done, the heel turned and about half the foot done on the first sock before the mitre madness took over and the almost mono began. Sadly, I have not worked on them in quite some time, but I love just looking at the yarn and the way it works up.

I am going to spend the rest of this morning in bed finishing a book I have to finish reading today. Then, its off to the library to pick up some more books, I have a Chili Cook Off/Housewarming party to go to, then AC Moore is having a midnight madness sale, so I must go. 25% off everything, kinda makes a girl's head spin, 'ya know. I have to pick up a few more skeins for the afghan, some stuff for my mom's Mother's Day present,and I might even get a treat or two for me, who knows. The day is young, I finally feel better and the sun is shining, the options are endless!

No comments: